Learning can always be a challenge, depending on what it is...
In high school I took two years of Spanish and passed with A's, it was easy to comprehend when I needed to. Once we moved on in a lesson though I always forgot what the teacher taught us the prior lesson. I basically did enough to get my "A." I never thought I would need to know it in my lifetime so I didn't think to much of it. Then in my neighborhood back home a Hispanic family moved in next door. They had three boys and all of them could speak English, as well as their dad. Their mom though only knows a few words of English, she has always just been stay at home mom. The family owns a Mexican Mini Market in town, the boys go after school and on weekends to help out at the store. The hard thing about this all is that our dad's became good friends and helped each other with work. So sometimes him and his wife will come over and have coffee but there was always is a part that's awkward because the mom can't speak that much English. Their middle son and I became best friends, we still are to this day and over the past summer he would say that it is the hardest thing to translate for his mom sometimes because words have different meanings when they are said in Spanish and then translated into English. Now that we have become best friends I wish that I would have kept up with Spanish and took it more serious. I only think that because now I see what it's like to not fully understand something or someone, I can only image how frustrating it is for her.There is always room to learn new things and review the old.
No comments:
Post a Comment